PDA

View Full Version : Tummy Tuck covered by medicare?

UpsizeMe
14-04-2010, 02:44 PM
:confused:Can you really get a Tummy Tuck covered by medicare? Someone told me that if you have a big baby or twins you can qualify for a Tummy Tuck- sounds a bit strange- anyone else know of this?

from A to D
20-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Yes... and no!
In South Australia ther is a public waiting system that you can get referred to by your GP.
I actually went to a plastic surgeon- Julie Lawrence who a few friends had been to.

I went to her private clinic. The appointment cost around $80 from memory, and she then said that I could go on her waiting list. Normally you go on a hospital's waiting list and it is pot luck about who you get- experienced surgeon or student( if its a teaching hospital)!

Julie Lawrence however works at a small hospital where she is the only plastic surgeon so I could guarantee that she would be the surgeon. I felt much better about that option, so even though her waiting list is longer I felt it was worth waiting.

You generally need to have a medical reason for the T/Tuck. In my case it was the excess skin overhang and seperated stomach muscles.
I am a little nervous, but I can't wait to have my tummy looking normal again!

So I am not sure how it works in other states, but I know a woman that came from interstate to have her Tummy Tuck done here in Adelaide on the public system.... so I guess it musn't be the same in other states??

She flew in for the consults and recovered here before flying home! You would think that there was a national system that was the same for everyone, but I guess not!

I do know that some of the surgery is covered by a medicare rebate even if you do go private. I think it is about $1000.... but that it is a very vague estimate! Someone else might know what the exact figure is :)

just4me
29-04-2010, 01:29 AM
I had mine done January, I was on the waiting list for about 17 months. I had a hernia as well as the 'apron' of skin.
Mine was covered, all I paid for was a medical compression garment for my stomach. It was about $190, but considering it was all I had to pay I thought that was ok.
The only problem was I did not have much warning before the surgery, about a week from when they called me.
Which was pretty hard to organise someone to look after my small children at the last minute. Also I felt really worried that when I went in for the surgery that it might be cancelled last minute because of other 'emergency' surgeries on the day.

In the end it was fine but It did make it harder to get pysched up about the surgery happening when I kept telling myself "it might not happen today".
The recovery was really hard, much worse than I had thought. I hobbled around bent over like an old lady for over a week.
The drains they put in seemed to go on forever when they pulled them out but they did not really hurt (I was on some very strong meds though!)

I am very happy with the results and felt that the pain was 100% worth it. I have ab muscles supporting me in ways I had forgotten all about!
If you are eligible to go on the public system waiting list your doctor should be able to organise the refferral for you.
I think you have to have some medical reason, like the hernia I had caused by the muscle gap. I dont know the criteria exactly but your doctor should.
All the best

booobies
11-05-2010, 07:39 PM
omg,im going to ask my doctor about this,i thought it was only if you had a cesarian and had that little extra skin fall over a bit or something,after 4 babies my muscles definatly need repair,skin isnt too bad but definatly not bikini material LOL

from A to D
27-06-2010, 11:32 PM
GUESS WHAT??? I have a date for my Tummy Tuck !!! I am SO excited.... 26th AUGUST! I can't wait, only 2 months to go. I can't wait to start the process of healing, and I know several woman who have been to this surgeon so I feel good about it. :)

booobies
28-06-2010, 09:56 AM
GUESS WHAT??? I have a date for my Tummy Tuck !!! I am SO excited.... 26th AUGUST! I can't wait, only 2 months to go. I can't wait to start the process of healing, and I know several woman who have been to this surgeon so I feel good about it. :)

OHHHH MYYYY GODDDD!!!!!! im so happy for you,your going to be soooo hot!!!!! and its great they gave you a little time to get ready for the TT too,i dont think i'll be able to get it,but im doing a little research for a mini TT for sometime in the future.and how good is it that your have seen his work,thats so awsome,and having a super flat tummy will make your boobies look even bigger,make sure you keep us updated YAY!!!!!!:D

from A to D
28-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I KNOW!!! I AM SO EXCITED! It seems like my tummy has been like a deflated balloon for such a long time.... it will be almost 4yrs since the birth of my twins (which inflicted the majority of the damage). I am so ready to do this, I have been researching for so long. My surgeon is actually a woman... and I have 4 friends/ aquaintances who have been to her for their tummy tucks. They have all been happy with their results so that is very comforting.
I am now excercising like crazy to get in shape before surgery. Another surgeon told me that it is much better to operate on good fat abdominal muscles than thin non-existant muscles, so I am doing stomach crunches every day to get in shape.

I was pleasantly surprised by the two month notice I received as well- My husband will be able to take the time off to help out for at least 3- 4 weeks after the surgery. I hope that is enough time!

I will be on here talking about this till you are all bored to tears, trust me!
I know the first year the scar can look pretty bad but it will be worth it for me, mine looks so bad as it is.

If you can get a mini- TT that is great, the scars are so much better than the full TT scars. I wish I could do that!
I found a great web site called "www.tuckthattummy.com" or something like that... anyway, lots of good info!

booobies
29-06-2010, 11:34 PM
wow thats great that its a woman,that would make me feel so more at ease.... and do those crunches girl,i bet it feels good to do them for a reason,i cant wait for that!!!! i nkow the scar scared me a lttle at first but then i seen a few more photos from a year later and so on,and the scar was practicaly invisable,so its SOOOOO WORTH IT!!!!!! HOW AMAZING WILL IT BE TO WEAR A BIKINI NEXT YEAR!!! i will still be in my monokini to hide that dimply skin above my pubic bone LOL but at least i will have the boobs to finally wear one.and i wont get bored of hearing you talk about your TT ,i actually get really excited for reading your post,i know i would be over the moon if it was me!!!!! dont forget to take some before pics when your surgery date gets closer so you can look back at them.

Ruby Ruby
20-07-2010, 08:33 PM
I am in Melbourne and yes it can be done through the public system but the wait can be as long as 3 years. I am interested to know how long your wait was, i have split tummy muscles and look 9 months pregnant while i am a size 8 to 10 everywhere else!

Ruby Ruby
20-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi, a 17 month wait doesn't sound too bad compared to 3 years that i have been told, what state are you in? Do you think it was the hernia that made your wait shorter?

from A to D
26-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi Ruby,
I am in SA and my wait has not even been 17 months. It has been 12 months!
I was told 2 years initially for Julie Lawrence and when I had my first appointment I was expecting that time period so I didn't ask her what the current waiting list was. I then called her office to update my contact details and I was told that they had been trying to call me in the past month but they could not get through! So I could have had my surgery even sooner if I had updated my phone number earlier.
I do not have a hernia, just split muscles (Although they are not too bad these days, about 2 cm split) and droopy skin.
I will post some tummy pics to show you all, even though they are pretty scary!
Ruby, you should qualify for sure. You sound like you definately have a good case considering you are so small but have the protruding tummy from the muscle seperation. I don't think I was considered an 'urgent' case. I just had to have finished having children at least 12 months post partum.
Hope the search goes well for you.
Booobies, you are lucky the monokini is in this season! how is the date coming for the boobs??

nadia
31-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Wow, I didn't know this was possible. My surgeon said that medicare would give a cash back on some of the surgery but only a few hundred I think.
Honestly I dont think I could have waited that long for the surgery, I was so unhappy with it that I just wanted to begin the road to recovery. The money was worth it for me!

Mel J
31-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Hey ladies.
I also live in SA and am 8 days post op from a tummy tuck done under the Medicare system at Flinders Hospital. I only waited 1 year from GP referral to surgery. If you look on the http://www.health.sa.gov.au/electivesurgery it tells you how long waiting lists are and which hospitals provide the surgery. I applied to RAH and Flinders, still have never heard from RAH to this date, applied at Flinders because I knew someone who had a TT done there on medicare, she only waited a year also.

But on the surgery, it has been so easy, I was home from the hospital after 3 days, I could walk after 2 days. I can walk straight upright, I can drive, dress myself and all that. If anyone wants to know more - please reply to this thread :)

chooken
31-07-2010, 04:56 PM
wow, MelJ- you are 8 days out and can drive and walk and dress yourself? I want your surgeon!

I have not asked about driving but I assumed that it would be like a c-section, no driving for 6 weeks!

I am amazed that you are up and about. I have been planning for a very long a traumatic time becuase I have a friend who had a TumTuck 2 years ago and she said that it is 20 x worse than a c-section!

I am thinking now that she might have made it seem worse than it is...
I would love to hear more about how the first few days were and what sort of things you needed in preperation.

from A to D
05-08-2010, 12:30 AM
I hope that I can have a recovery like Mel, she is a superstar to be back at it! gives me a lot of hope for my recovery. That link to the health website is great- I didn't know there was a place to check like that.
How is your swelling going MelJ? Are you still wearing a compression band some of the time?

nadia
06-08-2010, 04:08 PM
My GP did not suggest that this was an option to me at all. I joked about it being covered and he said "oh no, the system is far too overloaded for cosmetic procedures to be done through the public system". I did not think that it was even a possibility!

nadia
06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
I think that my GP will be copping an ear full next time I am in there!

Julie
21-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

Wow I am visiting my GP soon to see if I am elidgeable for a tummy tuck. Im only 4ft 6in tall and weigh about 49kg, but due to having to 2 pregnancys and needing 2 c-sections cos Im so small and my 2nd baby was nearly 8lb, and during my 2nd pregancy I also had gestational diabetes I was stretched to the max!

Since giving birth I have had continuned back pain and was told maybe my abdomen muscles are torn and this may be contributing to my poor body. Over the last 10 months I have exercised everyday and have managed to tone up all except for my abodomen area which doesnt appear to what to change and tone up. at all.

I think cos my body has been stretched so much that it is the cuase of my back pain. Currently a I am a 14D uptop and I wear ladies size 6/7 jeans but my stomach is like I am 6months pregnant. My baggy tops hide my body well.

I live in South Australia. I just want to be normal again! Has anyone has surgey in a public hospital and how long was the wait and cost? This is a great forum :)

Cheers,
Julie

Julie
21-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi Upsizeme
Just wondering if you have found out more about tummy tuck and if it is covered by medicare in SA and if you can see a private surgeon or have to have who is on available in a public hospital?
Cheers
Julie

Julie
21-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi Everyone,
Well I inquired with Plastic Surgeon Dr Michelle Lodge regarding a tummy tuck in SA and below is her response. I have made an appointment with my GP for tomorrow for an referral.

Dear Julie,
Thank you for your enquiry and to answer you questions

Yes, you do need to go to your GP for a referral but you have 2 options here -
1 If you get the GP to refer you to Dr Lodge at the Plastic Surgery Outpatients Dept of The Queen Elizabeth Hospital, you could be seen there for free and be put on the waiting list to have the surgery done at TQEH as a public patient once again for free.
2 If your GP refers you to see Michelle privately here at her rooms, you would have an out of pocket expense for the consultation of $ 90 and if you followed this up with private surgery at a private hospital you would be out of pocket quite a few thousand dollars.

The operation you require is called an abdominoplasty.

Hoping this answers your query but if not, please feel free to ring the rooms and speak to me.

Kind regards,
Stephanie Jones
Secretary to Michelle Lodge

narelle
20-03-2011, 11:57 AM
No way!! really!!! OMG!! i totally need a T/T after having 5 babies by ceasers (mega separation) and in a comp at the moment to win a t/t overseas through Destination Beauty but i don't think i am going to win it :(
But to get one done here in Australia for Free!! well that would be amazingly awesome! :D
I live about 70kms from the SA border though (Vic side) and i don't know if i would be able to get one done there - maybe you have to be a resident or something?? S.A is heaps more lenient that Vic but i am going to see my GP tomorrow and see what she says!!!
Thanks so much for the info! i appreciate it heaps!

Happysmiles
07-04-2011, 09:29 PM
I couldn't believe it as well when I found out people can get it for free, although in the end I ended up going private. If going public or going private and getting some back from Medicare and Health fund, it is considered a medical procedure not cosmetic. The muscles have to have a spilt in them (I had more than a hand width of a spilt and am considered to be petite), and as this is the core of your body it can cause all sorts of problems, backache, bad posture etc. I decided to go private for three reasons, firstly I was surprised at how cheap it was ( maybe Tassie could be the next plastic surgery holiday destination!) secondly, I didn't want to risk getting one of the other surgeons who I had heard stuff about (bed side manner/issues etc) I've known enough arrogant doctors to last me a life time, I wanted the lovely surgeon I asked for a referral too. I was recommended to see her from some friends in the medical field, one doctor and two nurses, and my GP recommended her as well (although that can mean nothing really - nepotism and all that). So after seeing her I was 100 percent certain I didn't want to have anyone else. But having said that if it was going to be as expensive as I thought it was going to be....well perhaps I would have been on the waiting list! lol

Happysmiles
07-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Also, just remembered. If you do decide to go private be aware that if you have the surgery within 12 months of bubs being born, you don't get as much back from medicare/private health fund. My surgeon told me this when I was deciding if to have the procedure right before Christmas or later on....Thank fully I chose the later option due to realising how silly I was to think of having it right before Xmas! I am now 7 days post op and realise Xmas would have been not soooo great in this condition!

MummaBear
01-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi ladies

I have my appointment with Julie Lawrence today to go on the waiting list for a tummy tuck. I made this appointment in January and today was the earliest I could get. So anyone in SA thinking about it, make your appointment as soon as possible coz there is a 4-5 month wait just for a consultation.

After my 3 big baby boys and 1 c-section, my GP has given me a referral. I was banking on an 18 month wait list, but super pleased to see it can be shorter than that!

I've been googling tummy tuck before and after photos and comparing my belly to others to try and gauge what I'm going to look like after haha. I can't wait. My stomach has been like this since the birth of my first child who is soon to be 12. I had him at 18, so all of my adult life I've had the terribly stretched skin and overhang. I can't buy tops to fit, always have to wear maternity tops. I can't WAIT to be able to buy clothes that actually fit!

I still need to lose a bit more weight. I've lost 30kg in 2 years (I was also pregnant for 9 months during that 2 years) but still have about 10kg to go I think. I'm 5 foot 4 and 80kg, I'm a size 12 (legs, bum and boobs/arms) but because of my belly i always have to buy a 14-16. Because of this, pants are always baggy and I look heaps bigger than I actually am.

I so can't wait! I'll pop back in tonight after my appointment with Dr Lawrence and update you all :)

Llante
15-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Please remember that Medicare will only cover 75% of scheduled fees. The schedule fee is $985 and your PHI will cover 25%. I was very shocked to know from my $4000 quote that I still was $3000 out of pocket PLUS anaethetist fees which rebates only about $250.
If your wanting this in hopes Medicare will cover it please reconsider, you will need about $5000+ out of pocket depending on what your surgeon will charge.

from A to D
19-06-2011, 04:39 AM
Hi Ladies, Its been 10 months since my surgery (full TT and muscle repair) with Dr Lawrence.
It was 100% covered (ie free) for me and they even provided the compression band (horribly uncomfy, and you might wanna consider buying a proper one online that doesn't roll down and up).

My scar is still definately visible. I am still waiting for it to fade to a white line- its a pinky purple still. I will never wear a bikini unless the very high 80's style come back in- my scar goes very high at the sides, and low in the centre.
Dr L used 'glue' for my scar. I wish that the skin had been pulled tighter, as it bulges above the pubic bone a bit, and has not entirely removed the wrinkly skin because it is not 'tight' but all in all it is a HUGE improvement on the apron and split muscles I had before... so I am not complaining, just giving my impression on the experience. One day I may get a 'revision' surgery to tighten the skin under the belly button/ above the pubic bone but I may never do it- still undecided.

If you have no compications the pain is not too bad. At rest I felt fine, it was only when I had to move (toilet, shower etc) The worst of it for me was a cough that I had that nearly turned into pneumonia during the process. Every cough ripped at my muscle stitches- the pain after coughing was a '10'. Also the pain pump made me vomit over and over in the first day- so if you get sick from pethidine consider avoiding the stuff. Vomiting with freshly stitched muscles= HELL.

So those are my thoughts. I am happy I had my TT on medicare. If I had not had it done that way I probably would have gone to Thailand and had it done by the same surgeon who did my BA 2 yrs ago, but then travelling after a TT would have been much much worse, so maybe not.

InsertUserNameHere
27-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi,

I have stumbled upon this site while researching tummy tucks and was hoping i could get a few questions answered by those who have gone on the waiting list/had a medicare covered TT.
Was a difficult getting a GP referal?
My issue is split stomach muscle which causing a fair amount of discomfort/pain (i have a back problem also so the lack of core support adds to that pain as well), i do have some loose skin but it is mild and i wonder if this is enough criteria?
Any recs for hospitals to go with?
Can any one share any before/after pics? Any advice - words of wisdom??

I'm a bit clueless but trying to gather as much info as i can :)

Ayla2010
02-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, but was recently speaking with Dr Liews surgery (Only over the phone at this stage) and the woman there was saying it depends on how long after you had a baby, and how bad the separation is, to depend whether or not medicare will cover some or all of it. And she said it was up to the surgeon, if he thinks its bad enough, medicare will cover some or all. I have not yet had my consult as still have more weight to lose, but I will update this thread once I have been and found out. Id love it if medicare would cover some, but its not that important if they don't.

LilyM
06-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post here, but was recently speaking with Dr Liews surgery (Only over the phone at this stage) and the woman there was saying it depends on how long after you had a baby, and how bad the separation is, to depend whether or not medicare will cover some or all of it. And she said it was up to the surgeon, if he thinks its bad enough, medicare will cover some or all. I have not yet had my consult as still have more weight to lose, but I will update this thread once I have been and found out. Id love it if medicare would cover some, but its not that important if they don't.

Hi Ayla2010, My understanding is that you have to have the surgery within 5 years of having your baby for it to be covered under medicare but not sure if that is still accurate.

Also, if you have a TT done privately medicare will only cover 75% of the scheduled PS fee & 75% of the anaesthetists fee. I think the scheduled fee for the PS is $975 & maybe $300 for the anaesthetist (both estimates). You would have to pay any amounts above these scheduled fees. If you have private hospital cover that covers plastic & reconstructive surgery you would be covered for the hospital stay but if you don't have private cover you would have to pick up 100% of the hospital fees.

I had my TT done privately in Canberra & was out of pocket just over $9000 & that was after medicare & private health insurance rebates.

LilyM
06-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi,

I have stumbled upon this site while researching tummy tucks and was hoping i could get a few questions answered by those who have gone on the waiting list/had a medicare covered TT.
Was a difficult getting a GP referal?
My issue is split stomach muscle which causing a fair amount of discomfort/pain (i have a back problem also so the lack of core support adds to that pain as well), i do have some loose skin but it is mild and i wonder if this is enough criteria?
Any recs for hospitals to go with?
Can any one share any before/after pics? Any advice - words of wisdom??

I'm a bit clueless but trying to gather as much info as i can :)

Hi, I had my TT done privately but had to get a referal from my GP first. If you want to go through the public system & have everything covered by medicare you need to call the Plastic & reconstructive surgery outpatients clinic at your local public hospital. If you call the PS's office they will treat you as a private patient which means you will have to pay full fees...I'd recommend you call around at a few local public hospitals first & find out where you need to get the referal too.

My TT was done privately so I had to pay the gap above the scheduled fee but I was still able to claim the full medicare & health fund rebates.

I only had 1cm abdominal separation but I had alot of sagging skin as I'd had a multiples pregnancy 4.5 years prior so my PS still allowed me to claim the rebates. I think you would need to be assessed by a PS but if you've got alot of separation then I doubt they would decline you.

I hope that helps, all the best with it :)

Bridget
02-09-2011, 01:59 AM
Hi,

I am just starting my research. I really want a TT but I am so terrified about going under the knife and i am so worried about the price, I have found some online sites with offers but I have also read alot of horrow stories. Any advice ladies, you both seem so confident and excited - it is so refreshing to read. This is something I have come accross:

http://www.groupon.com.au/deals/national-deal/-expederm-/715855595

It is a groupon voucher that gives you a large discount when you redeem the offer. What do you think??

Bridget x

Undone
03-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Can anybody tell me where in melbourne i can get a tt done covered by medicare after weight loss i know the alfred definitely wont do it any ideas for referrals or hospitals please?

narelle
06-09-2011, 07:55 PM
just letting everyone know, i got a free tummy tuck in Victoria, it wasn't called a tummy tuck but a abdominal wall plasty! I saw the specialist from Hamilton and went on the public waiting list and now i'm 2 weeks post surgery only after 3 months!! it wasn't done by a ps but a general surgeon but i don't care, it looks fantastic and i'm ecstatic! my scar was "glued" also and is a bit puffy above the scar line, i don't know if that's just swelling or how it's going to be but who am i to complain when it was 100% covered! so so happy!!!

Esther
12-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Hi

I'm in SA. My TT is in 2 weeks. I got a referral my my GP ad I have two hernias, one I've always had and a new one which arrived after my third baby. I had three csecs which I'm told didn't help. My plastic surgeon told me that it's covered by Medicare if you've had three or more kids or if you've had multiples. Same with a breast augmentation. This is only once you are 12 months postnatal. My youngest had just turned 1 when I was told I had a surgical date so I basically waited 2 months.

The surgeon tells me I'm only having the surgery to fix my hernias but in order to fix them he says he has to do a full abdominoplasty, sewing the stomach muscles back together as mine are far apart which is why I have the hernias and still look pregnant.

Teeny_k
30-09-2011, 02:49 AM
Hi everyone, it's my 1st post in here :)
I had an appointment with Julie Lawrence today & I am absolutely ecstatic to be on her waiting list for a TT!! She said to expect a 12 month wait, which is good, because I'm aiming to lose 15kg before my surgery. I will have no out of pocket expense either :-o
I also asked about a breast lift & she said that I will be eligible for that through medicare too, but I'm going to discuss it with her more thoroughly at my next appointment with her, before my surgery. She mentioned that a reduction may be a good idea, but said to think about it & let her know.
Has anyone had these procedures together??
Or does anyone have any feedback about Julie Lawrence?

Undone
21-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Hey guys awesome posts just wondering if anyone has been able to get this dne in melbourne or know if i can fly interstate and get a tt/hernia repair or tt for losing a large amount of weight :)

Thanks im so desperate seems nowhere has a public list either way im looking for the best but most affordable/cheapest option

Allyce
15-11-2011, 01:18 PM
I've recently had twins babies and my stomach muscles tore 6.5cms. I've lost most of the weight but the more I Lose the more it sags. Does anyone know of any surgeons whom do surgery under Medicare In NSW, if they done Boob lifts too that would be even better. If not SA here I come.

hatemytummy
21-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Hi,
I am reading all of this hoping that I will find some responses from the doctors when asked about medicare covering this surgery. I have a real fear that if I ask my doctor I will feel stupid to ask if something for cosmetic reasons can be covered by Medicare. I know the system is crammed and there are a lot of really sick people waiting out there but I feel that the way my tummy looks is somewhat making me a hermit. I have always been slim and after two births got my figure back within a year but this third pregnancy something has changed. I had c sections every birth and now I have this weird shaped belly when I do a sit up ( for eg) It goes all egg shaped and a really high point in the middle. I also have excess skin which at the moment is not sagging because it has extra weight in it but I am sure if I lost more it would be loose. I have been asked when I was due a few times since the birth of my third child and it does nothing for my self esteem :( The tummy is not in proportion to the rest of my body. I have gained weight generally but my tummy is definitely out there...What did you all ask when you went to the doctor? Ask to be referred straight away or ask for a diagnosis of why your tummy looks the way it looks? If I ask to be referred to a surgeon do I have to ask for a specific surgeon to be covered by medicare?

hatemytummy
29-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Hi Narelle,

I am wondering if there was a medical reason for your surgery that helped you to get it through Medicare ? I would be more than happy to have it done by a general surgeon if it means I would be fixed. A general surgeon did my cesarians I could never understand why they wouldn't fix it all up before they closed up. I am so unhappy with myself at the moment but I can't pin point why I have such a fear of going to see a doctor about it. I can not afford $10k plus for surgery I know that much, maybe that is where most of my hesitation is...

LilyM
05-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi hatemytummy, You seem to have similar to what I had. I had also lost all of my pregnancy weight but still had excessive skin left behind. I didn't have a huge muscle separation but I did have the excessive skin & that was enough to make me depressed. It made it nearly impossible for me to wear fitted dresses & in addition to that, I always had a huge tummy even when wearing a size 6-8.

My understanding is that the PS will assess each patient differently. I had my TT done privately & so I had to pay for it, but my PS still allowed me to claim it under medicare by giving the item number on my invoice. You should def try & get onto a public wait list for this proceedure though cause the amount you get back from medicare if you do it privately is negligable. See here, its item 30177. (http://http://www9.health.gov.au/mbs/search.cfm?q=30177&sopt=I) Also, you shouldn't feel bad about asking for this proceedure to be fixed under medicare. You would need to ask your GP to refer you to a Plastic surgeon who works in the public health system. Another way to find out is to contact the plastic surgery outpatients clinic at your local hospital. You would need to get your GP to give you a referral but don't feel bad about that. If you have a large amount of abdominal separation a TT can help repair it. Some women get quite bad back pain from large amounts of abdominal separation so you should get it looked at.

Even for myself, my abdominal separtion wasn't bad at all (I only had 1cm) but I still had it fixed, It's worth doing if its going to improve your self confidence so def consider at least having a consultation!

Also, general surgeons don't perform this proceedure. I wouldn't let anyone other than a Board certified PS perform this proceedure on me. There are too many things that can go wrong & its a much more complex surgery that it seems. I had my TT performed by a Board Certified PS & in all honesty I think he could have done a much better job. Despite choosing a board certified PS I still feel as though my TT needs more work! Don't get me wrong, I am still glad that I had it done (no regrets there) but just saying that it could have ended up a disaster if a non board certified surgeon attemted to do it.

I know its hard to live with a wrinkled up tummy but you don't want to end up feeling botched if you choose a surgeon who does a poor job.

Miss la
09-01-2012, 09:11 AM
There is a waiting list in melbourne but you have to have serious problems, like rashes, infections...etc. You have to go to you gp and get the referral. You could be waiting up to 18mths depends on how severe your case is..there is also a chance that they will refuse your case. I can't get on the waiting list but medicare will cover part of my surgery..

hatemytummy
23-01-2012, 07:29 AM
:) Thank you for taking the time to answer some of my questions.

Undone
28-01-2012, 06:07 PM
im desperately trying to find out which hospitals in MELBOURNE have a publc waiting list as ive already been rejected from the alfred without being seen or assessed would anyone know any of the hospitals who are covering tt etc (recontrstructive after weight loss) with medicare? ty